Monday, April 14, 2014

English Corner

My days have been full here with language class and studying, spending time with students and teachers, doing research for culture acquisition, and doing studies with students. Being the extrovert that I am, I’m always looking for ways to spend time with people. Thus, a few weeks into the semester I began attending English Corner, which is a program many foreign universities have to help students improve their English. I heard from my neighbor that the Corner had been struggling for the past few years, so we decided to meet with the student coordinator and give her some tips. So we met and discussed possibilities and she took our advice gladly.

The night of English Corner came around and it was nothing short of a train wreck. I sat through it curiously wondering if she was intentionally doing the opposite of everything we suggested. It can best be described as 2 hours of awkwardness.

Knowing that English Corner is an effective way to help students to improve their English and that it is a great opportunity for me to meet student outside of the English department, I decided to set up a meeting with the Foreign Language Dean.

We met on a Tuesday and used the Chinese way of making indirect suggestions. Thankfully his response was positive and agreed to talk with the student in charge.

Not knowing what would come of the discussion, I had low expectations. That Friday (2 days before English Corner) I received a call from the Dean informing me that I am now in charge of English Corner.


Grateful, but shocked, I had to get right to work planning and preparing for English Corner. I was a bit nervous at first being handed such responsibility with little guideline and resources. But, the first English Corner went wonderfully and though we are limited in resources there is much potential. This weekend was my third English Corner and we have almost tripled in size! I am really thankful for this opportunity to learn and grow in leadership. Most of all I am thrilled by the opportunity to spend time with students!

No comments:

Post a Comment